Monday, February 07, 2011

so, i was waking to my car and i hear a "hello" slap the back of my neck. i was going to turn around to see who it was, but there was another guy walking the opposite direction, and i figured it was directed towards him. i kept walking. staring to the side at my own shadow. then someone murmured under their breath beside me and a man's voice said "are you in architecture?" startled and stumbling over my own words like a fool gorging on anxiety and palpitations, i responded in "oh me?"s and "um"s...eventually getting out a "no." told him i just came from video, and before i could explain the wicker basket and rulers, he asked if i was "doing 3d and stuff." i kind of chuckled and said no, then felt bad because he was serious. i asked him what his major was and he said computer science and informed, without my questioning, that he was indeed a geek. i smile and said "that's great, though." or something of the sort, trying to be nice and all the while hide my state of bafflement. he quickly switched back to me and asked what i was doing in video, and i explained it poorly. he got to his car said "well, take care." and i said "yeah, you too." then continued walking.


it's so odd to me that these occurrences are so rare. strangers speaking to each other. then leaving and never knowing anything else about the other's existence. and i guess they linger with me because those conversations don't have a past or future. they're a moment--and that is all they ever will be.

2 comments:

Sara said...

That`s a sweet story Allison. I didn`t know you were back in school. This is Sara. I stumbled by your blog while looking at Pams.

zoe noelle smith said...

this is zoë--i think you may have the wrong blog. there is an allison that follows me, however, so you may have clicked my blog by accident (: